Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Chorus Line...


So it's been well over 30 years since I did this show. Which also equates to over 30 years of not being able to imagine ever NOT doing it as well. But that's pretty much the way it always is with things you do... right?

But I still believe it must have been my destiny somehow, because it was the thing that really defined all of those other things that came after it. And I tend to wonder about those kinds of things sometime. Like if something hadn't happened just exactly the way it did (on that one day), would I still have my children.. or my grandchildren? Would they look the way they do? Would they still be who they are? Would I have gone back to school? Would I have had this same job for 18 years? Would I have ever (EVER) lived in Michigan? Would I even be typing this right now? Because there is so much it seems... that could have the capacity to change one's life entirely, just by the direction of one's path or a decision made in a millisecond.

But I think I already wrote down some similar thoughts like this once, so I suppose there's really no need to reinvent the wheel.

A Simple Twist of Fate...

Anyway, rewinding back to the 70's...

I think that when this show hit the NY scene in May of 1976 it suddenly became every dancers dream. I think that, because the 5 auditions I attended (and all of which I was almost immediately cut from without given a second chance) was fairly similar to how I picture the American Idol cattle calls of today. They were crazy and exhilarating... but also totally humiliating.

And I don't even know what kept me going back time after time except for that little voice inside that kept telling me I could TOTALLY do that role. (To be honest I don't think that I ever really "pictured" myself doing that role... but I just really, really wanted to do it!)

So I suppose you'll now (in case you didn't do it before) have to click on that little link up there to find out how it all went down...

I guess I'm only saying this because, really?... I don't think anyone should ever doubt their potential to do anything that they're willing to set their sights on and work to achieve. Because although nothing usually comes from nothing... something will always SOMEHOW find it's way... I truly believe that.

And that one moment, on the Shubert stage, when I was finally, FINALLY offered the show?... Well, all I can say is that everyone should be allowed to have at least one of those moments in their life.

Because wow... What a really, REALLY great sixty seconds!









Here's an audio tape of a recording from a portion of the show in from San Francisco, Golden Gate Theatre, 1980 (not 1979 btw.. my goof! But when you get to be my age what's a year or two in either direction anyway?...) And what an added blessing to our posterity that Brad also happened to be on that night!..



And see? Sometimes you don't even need to be able to sing! (2:06-2:38) and (3:47-4:36) But at 6:50?...well, I think those seven syllables were pretty good : )... lol

Cast List:
Don - Rick Conant
Maggie - Stephanie Eley
Mike - Jamie Torcellini
Connie - Sachi Shimizu
Greg - Stephen Moore
Cassie - Wanda Richert
Sheila - Rita O'Conner
Bobby - Ron Kurowski
Bebe - Tracy Shayne
Judy - Jannet Moranz
Richie - Ralph Glenmore
Al - Brad Moranz
Kristine - Kerry Casserly
Mark - Scott Plank
Val - Pamela Ann Wilson
Paul - Stephen Crenshaw
Diana - Gay Marshall
Zach - Tony Teague
Larry - Marshall Hagins


Up next I suppose... All the other stuff that came before.

2 comments:

gjm said...

The first time I saw ACL was during that run at the Golden Gate. Your performance holds a special place for me: even though I saw the show a couple hundred times after that, you are the only Judy I saw who actually sang the "why am I so tall" lyric. In a way, it's like you're the only authentic Judy I've ever seen perform the part. I don't mean to diminish the hard work required to be in the cast but congratulations on being part of an extraordinary show when the productions were at their best and dazzled audiences at every performance.

Jannet said...

gjm... wow, I'm sure you have no idea how much that comment of your's just made my day! I can truly say that the run at the Golden Gate back in 1980 holds an incredibly special place in my heart even though my entire run with ACL was such a wonderful and life changing experience. And so... I ever meet you? Did you ever come backstage? Because if not, you should have!!! Thank you so much for those very nice comments!